20120428-091916.jpg

Day two and there’s a lot of sanding and hand work to do.

20120428-091856.jpg

In the meantime, I have settled on a set of Grover banjo tuners; they have a straight design more like traditional pegs and sport dark tuning knobs. Plus, Grover tuners have the quality without breaking the bank. Especially since I will have to buy two sets to get enough for the six-string design I’m planning on.

I still have no idea how to do the tailpiece. I saw a design on ancientmusic .co.uk that simply uses heavy cord for the tailpiece — no special, carved wood piece — which I like for the fact that the less parts you have, the less things can go wrong. Plus, I can retrofit it to the carved tailpiece if I need to.

I purchased some Tung Oil at the local lumber store for the finish. After researching various methods of finish for instruments, I opted for this because an oil finish is period-correct and while not necessarily available in Anglo Saxon Europe (it comes from the Tung Tree native to China), it was on the shelf. The truly authentic Walnut Oil was not. Another reason for an oil finish is that as durable as polyurethane finishes are, they’re real iffy in a musical application. Some of them are okay, but some can decrease resonance properties, and trying to figure out which one is which is terribly difficult. Plus, I have an abhorrence for super-shiny instruments. They show too many fingerprints! An oil finish tends to give wood an appealing “soft” look. Instruments should be touched, should be something you want to touch. ๐Ÿ™‚

So, I guess I should say Medieval Period Nazis beware. ๐Ÿ˜› Haha. My goal is to create a beautiful, playable instrument; certainly, I want my hearpa as period-correct as possible, but being a musician who has played many different instruments, I have certain things I want in terms of practicality. Hence why I shortened the design (easier to hold and carry for long periods). Hence the modern friction tuning machines (I refuse to fight with ill-shaped pegs of my own making, plus, having done a stint playing violin, I know modern tuners are MUCH easier to use). I seek to maintain the integrity of a period instrument while making it so a modern musician can still get what they want from it. ๐Ÿ™‚ We shall see how well I do! We are nearly ready to assemble!

On to Part III or back to Part I?

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “The Hearpa Project (Still Crazy)

  1. It sounds as if you’re having fun, and that’s important and I don’t think it matters that much if the instrument is not EXACTLY as it would have been back in the day, for I am sure if an Anglo Saxon musician was around today, they would be practical enough to take advantage of some modern discoveries ๐Ÿ™‚

  2. I believe Miss Alannah is right on. I can’t wait to hear your little wonder. And after yesterday’s adventures fighting with weather, I think I wouldn’t mind a set of Grover’s for my baby, though I suspect they might clash a bit with everything else. But a girl can dream. ๐Ÿ™‚

    1. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m excited! I’m going to be ordering parts tomorrow, and it looks like I might be assembling today!! Whee! I need to hurry up and do another post documenting everything I did yesterday…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s