Happy New Year, to all my readers. I hope your holiday is fun and safe.
I can honestly say that while 2008 was full of trials and tribulations, I am proud of my writing accomplishments.
- 15 completed and polished stories (which is more than the last two years)
- 5 of those have already been accepted for publication and/or published
- 6 more are still “under consideration”
- Only 3 have been regaled to “the sock drawer”
- (1 is waiting on the acceptance of another)
For 2009, I hope to:
- Write more stories, and get more of them published in ezines, where you, fellow readers, may read them for free (or a pittance).
- Of these proposed published pieces, I hope to sell at least one to some sort of paying magazine.
- And, though I would love to get more pieces into print (because, well, that’s just cool), I would love it more if I could explore the short story medium to best find my place in it. Over the last couple years of writing professionally, I’ve tried novels (which end up being long novellas), novellas, novelettes, short stories, and flash fiction, and I can definitely say that flash seems to have had the most success of my work (by ‘flash,’ I mean around 3k or less, and by ‘success,’ I mean I’ve had the highest publishing rate). So maybe that’s my medium? But then again, I seem to have a thing for stories at 5k, and also at 10k…. Anyhow, I would just love it if I could settle into my *creative zen*, and be able to say to myself, “Yeah. I write ____. Really well.“
So that’s just my take on it all. Again, I hope you all have a lovely New Year’s, and as my creative writing professor would say,
Onward and Upward.